A taste of spring!
Oxymels are a delicious and nutritious addition to herbal cocktails & mocktails, salad dressings, marinades, tonic shots + more.
All you need is a lawn packed with violets, a jar with a tight fitting plastic lid, locally harvested honey and raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar.
You should be 100% certain you are identifying the correct plant. If you do not know what it is, don't put it in your mouth!
Be mindful & harvest sustainably.
Leave your harvesting area better than how you found it.
Don't harvest from busy road sides, outside outhouses, where dogs pee, old landfill sites etc.
1. Judge your harvest by how many violets you have access to. Remember, you must leave some for the pollinators!
2. Remove leaves & stem and place flowers in jar, filling loosely to the top.
3. Fill your jar to half with Apple Cider Vinegar
4. Top with Honey
5. Lid your jar and shake
6. Store in a cool, dark place to infuse for 4-6 weeks. Visit your jar often to give'r a shake, sing her a song, maybe do a dance ;)
7. After 4-6 weeks, strain, bottle and label.
8. Store in a cool, dark place. Fridge is optional. Shelf life, 6-12 months if stored properly.